Thursday, 22 August 2013

Montecs, blood trails and Impalas...



G5's Montecs... I love them. Or at least I think I do did do...

I have always fiercely defended the Montec's virtues against the onslaught of the Mechanical Broad-head shooting hordes. 

"It never fails". "There are no moving parts that can fail at the moment of impact". 

According to me it was a perfect broad-head. The ideal 125gn business end of the arrow I launch from my PSE DNA to quickly and effectively take down my quarry.

I even managed to do bring down a "trophy" feeding trough! I recovered my arrow after this episode and was stunned to see that there was absolutely no damage on the Montec. Nothing. The Easton NFused Carbon arrow was also still in one piece although the carbon outer had been damaged as the arrow went through the drum.



But...

I always felt slightly let down, dissapointed you could say, after I shot an animal using my Montec's. There was no decent blood trail. All my shots were placed correctly - either hart, lung or hurt and lung shots.... But where's the blood then?

We then visited Buffelsdoorn the past weekend (16 to 18 August 2013). I was lucky enough to get an opportunity to shoot an Impala ewe.

The shot was taken from 25 meters at the ewe. She and the rest of the herd of about 7 other ewes ran for roughly 30 meters before stopping to have a look around to see what caused the commotion. Something scared them and they ran a further 15 meters (this time out of sight but I noted the distance later on). 

All went dead quiet.

We waited for about 40 minutes before we started the follow up to recover the ewe.

No blood. We could see her tracks and managed to track for about 10 meters before her tracks mixed with those of the herd and tracking solely on her tracks became impossible. And still no blood. I now started to think that my shot was indeed a bit high and that I missed the vital organs!

Luckily the herd crossed a dirt road and that is where we spotted the first blood. This was after about 20 meters with no blood at all.





From the small droplets it was very difficult to see if it was the pink bubbly lung blood ot deep red arterial blood from the hart. So we carried on scanning the area and hoping for a better trail.


After about 30 meters we found the first decent blood trail - and it started to look very promising. I was relieved to say the least!


And then we found the ewe. Roughly 38 meters from where she was shot. And it was a perfect shot - hart and lung. And I breathed a sigh of relief.



So why the weak blood trail? I do not know. After some research on the net I soon discovered that I was not the only one complaining of this. Seems the main reasons are blunt broad heads and bad shot placements. I'm not overly convinced though...

Will I use my trusty 125gn Montec's again... Yes! No! Maybe...I'll see...

Eugene Genis

1 comment:

  1. I shot a few Impala with Mech. and FB broad heads and had mixed results.
    Rage very little blood on a good lung shot. Spitfire on very much the same shot resulted in a very good blood "spoor" that one could follow without any tracking skills.
    Muzzy very little blood but the shot was not the best. In this case it was not the BH.
    Rage on warthog resulted in a "red carpet" to follow. Again no tracking skills required.

    As to why on one animal there is no blood and the next can't stop bleeding, your guess is as good as the next person's.

    ReplyDelete